For the past seven years, Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories have provided more then 35 million books for children inside of cereal boxes. Cheerios has also donated almost $3 million to First Book (their non-profit partner). First book provides books to children in needy families. This is a wonderful program that is encouraging children to read!
Cheerios is also looking for people who are interested in writing children's books. The Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stores New Author Contest (currently in its third year) is a way to help those that are unpublished. If you are interested in submitting a story, entries are being accepted March 16 through July 15, 2009. Your entry will be judged on content that is appropriate for ages 3-8. This includes a story that creates an emotional connection, uniqueness, read-aloud potential, and (of course) writing quality. More details on this contest can be found at www.spoonfulsofstoriescontest.com.
The first year's winner was Shellie Braeuner, her entry was her book “The Great Dog Wash”. She won $5,000 in cash, a review by Simon and Schuster Children’s Publishing. They offered Shellie a deal to publish her book. Her book with illustrations by Robert Neubecker will be available in hardcover this summer. Cheerios will also be giving away 1.5 million printed in paperback inside cereal boxes this spring.
The winner of the second New Author contest was recently announced. Lori Degman from Vernon Hills, Illinois won the prize for her story, “1 Zany Zoo”. Her book is slated to be released in 2010 by Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing. This book will also be available prior to release via paperback in Cheerios boxes, before being available for purchase in hardcover.
The runners-up for the second years contest are Tameka Fryer Brown of Charlotte, N.C. With her story “I'm Not Eating That!” and Joan Stradling from Star Valley, AZ for her story “Who Invites a Pig to Dinner?”. They will be receiving a prize from Cheerios in the amount of $1,000.
Please pass on the info for the Cheerios Spoonful of Stories program and writing contest to the parent of a child who could benefit from this program or an aspiring children's book author.
I was able to read "The Great Dog Wash" by Shelli Braeuner to my little one, she loves dogs so she really enjoyed this story. It is printed in both English and Spanish with lively pictures and a cute story of children working together to get a whole pack of dogs washed...temporarily.
A Mommyhood is Thankless reader has the opportunity to win a Spoonful of Stories gift set (pictured)!
Now for the rules (yes, rules are tough to live by!):
- In order to qualify, I need you to post a comment letting me know about your favorite children's book.
- Please don't post " I want to win", "Great Giveaway", etc. that would make me sad because I will have to disqualify you.
- If you don't have a blogger account, no problem! Just be sure to include your email address!
- Last, this is very important, you need to include an email address. If you win and you don't have your email in your blogger profile or in your comment, I can't contact you and that will be sad for both of us! (I promise not to sign you up for any spam mail or anything!)
You can receive one extra entry for each of these:
- Following me on my blog. (if you already follow just comment letting me me know!)
- Subscribe to my feed, if you already subscribe again let me know. (You do want to subscribe because I list tons of Giveaways when I am not trying to quit smoking!)
- Blog about this giveaway and link to this post.
- Post my button on your blog, the code is on the right.
- Advertise your blog via my Entrecard!
- Tweet this giveaway and include your username.
- Add me (wastebasket) to your twitter and again post your username!
- Add my blog to your Technorati favorites.