Friday, November 14, 2008

The Family Bed

One thing that everyone seems to have an opinion on lately is the fact that Audra still sleeps in our bed. How can you get a good nights sleep? Isn't she too old for that? When is Audra going to sleep in her own bed? The questions go on and on.

The answers are that I don't get a good night's sleep, I am an insomniac as you can see from my posting late into the night, and my tweets! Yes I try to sleep but I can't. In fact, her sleeping with me has allowed me to get the little bit of sleep that I do get. I know where she is, I know she can't get out of my room and into things that could hurt her (we have child safe doorknobs). I know she isn't crying in her room without Momma to comfort her.

Is she too old? Perhaps she is, but what matters is that right now it works for us, Michael works at night so it's not like she is kicking him out of the bed.

When is she going to sleep in her own bed? When I can trust that she is ready.

I planned on having her sleep in her crib, I had it set up and everything. But, you know how it goes, she slept in a bassinet next to our bed. I was exhausted after getting up to nurse her several times so I laid down and nursed her so I could atleast rest my arms and back. I fell asleep and she fell asleep and if she woke up to nurse again I didn't wake up enough to notice. After several nights of getting up to nurse her and laying down, I decided to cut out the middleman so to speak and I got the sleep my insomnia granted me and she slept...well like a baby.

Now, she is 3 and has stopped nursing for almost a year now, but WE sleep better with her in the bed. I have tried getting her to sleep in her "big girl bed" and she will have none of it. She screams and cries and won't stay in it no matter what tactic I try. This KILLS me, I can't stand to hear her cry and do nothing about it! This may mean she is spoiled or whatever but I don't really care, we were granted Audra by god in the face of many obstacles and I will love and cherish and try to do the best I can for my baby, my last child. These years are fleeting, the days are long but the years very short.

The family bed works for our family, and people who want to but in about something that doesn't effect them can butt right out! I wouldn't make space for them in my bed anyway!

1 comment:

  1. I like that....the days are long, but the years are short. Very well put. And, do I know a thing or two about baby safe door knob covers. I blogged about that today.

    And, your bed is your business!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so feed my comment monster please :D If you are entering a giveaway, please ensure you include your email address!

Blog Archive

Stats


View My Stats

Lijit Stats Wijit - Recent Readers List

Swidget 1.0

Blog Design by Chelle

ss_blog_claim=8229a9381adf674b1f1c32c8412886fd ss_blog_claim=8229a9381adf674b1f1c32c8412886fd